Pages

Thursday 26 May 2016

The Tate Modern


Ironically, this is the post where I seem to have forgotten how to perform for the camera...

The wonderful creepiness of Facebook reminded me this morning that I posted my first post of this blog exactly a year ago yesterday. Now, a job writing blogs for a living may well have thrown a time- and inclination-shaped spanner in the works in terms of Dressing Up in London, but I have resolved to try a little darn harder. Probably because I have suddenly got muchmuchmuch busier at work… these things never make sense, do they?




Anyway, this weekend Delightful Boyfriend and I got a bit cultural (rather than spending the entire weekend on the sofa, watching Game of Thrones and talking to no one except Deliveroo, like we normally would) and moseyed on down to the Tate Modern.

Babel - Cildo Meireles, 2001

Mona Hatoum


The Tate Modern is the UK’s gallery of modern art and holds our national collection of British art from 1900 to now. It is housed in what was the Bankside Power Station back in the day, which was designed by the same architect who did Battersea Power Station. When the Bankside branch shut down in 1981 I don’t suppose anyone thought than in its next life it would be one of the largest modern art museums in the world, but there it is, life is unexpected.




In 1992, the Tate Gallery at the British National Art Museum was beginning to get a little too big for its accommodation, and proposed a competition to build a new building, just for modern art. The firm that eventually won it was Herzog and de Meuron, the Swiss company responsible for the Bird’s Nest – Beijing’s 2008 Olympic stadium. Instead of knocking it down, the firm decided to keep the power station as it was, and reinvent it. Whether it’s your cup of tea or not, I am rather glad they kept it. It’s nice to have a little reminder of old London on the waterfront, especially considering the various monstrosities which are going to be popping up along the Thames over the next decade or so. 






Inside the collection is organised by theme rather than chronologically - apparently because doing it chronologically would expose the large gaps in the collection! These themes are a GCSE-art student’s dream: “Structure and Clarity”, “Transformed Visions”, “Energy and Process”, “Poetry and Dream”… I want to know who comes up with these things. Sounds like they did my university modules too. 




There were some pieces which were predictably bonkers, as modern art is wont to seem to someone as simple as I, but there was a fair bit that I liked. I learnt about Bernd and Hilla Becher and their lovely black-and-white photographs of industrial structures from across the world. I was also glad to see a good chunk dedicated to the Guerilla Girls. The Tate's new director Frances Morris is the first woman (and the first Brit) to be appointed and seems to be keeping up the good work after championing female artists at the Tate for many years. And I particularly enjoyed the Mondrians. There is something deeply calming and satisfying about how neat and precise they are. Plus, one would go beautifully with our coffee tables…




Then there is the gargantuan Turbine Hall which used to house the generators and in more recent times housed mammoth pieces of work by artists such as Anish Kapoor and Ai Weiwei. When we were there the hall looked pretty empty…though that could well have been an exhibit too – who knows with modern art?!




For my long-awaited (ha) return to “fashion” blogging, I may have played it a bit safe – it’s just that there are so many blimmin’ people in this city! Perhaps I am getting a bit cowardly in my old age. I’ll try to go a bit crazier for next time. Maybe. Anyway, to contrast with the stark, brown exterior of the Tate, I decided to go very colourful. And flowery. And with some gratuitous leopard print because why the hell not?!
 
Tate Modern details

Opening times = Sunday – Thursday, 10.00–18.00. Friday and Saturday, 10.00–22.00
Admission = Free! (Pay for exhibitions)
Closest Tube station = Southwark or Blackfriars

Top - New Look
Skirt, Shoes, Earrings and Belt - ASOS (I swear they should be paying me by now)
Cardigan - Next
Sunglasses - Topshop

No comments:

Post a Comment